Recently, I completed a year-long fellowship with The OpEd Project. Their work focuses on training subject experts to increase their public outreach, primarily through journalism such as oped or editorial articles.
My participation as a Public Voices Fellow included several workshops, collaborations with colleagues, and a lot of soul-searching about my personal and professional public identity. I had the opportunity to work one-on-one with coaches whose own journalistic accomplishments are numerous.
- “Work to do: Our full labor history must include Asian Pacific Americans.” 23 June 2022. The Hill. https://thehill.com/opinion/civil-rights/3530314-work-to-do-our-full-labor-history-must-include-asian-pacific-americans/
- “Learn Your Asians: Not All AAPI are the Same.” 9 May 2022. Newsweek. https://www.newsweek.com/learn-your-asians-not-all-aapi-are-same-opinion-1703196
- “Still Here: Why Fair Media Disability Representation Matters.” 18 Apr 2022. The Hill Reporter. https://hillreporter.com/commentary-still-here-why-fair-media-disability-representation-matters-129416
- “Worst of U.S. history should never be forgotten: Remembering Japanese internment camps, 80 years ago today.” New York Daily News. https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-worst-us-history-alive-20220219-vrdmtz6ehrbgvk7xt6hzfl2qfq-story.html
- “This Black History Month, Celebrate Both the Extraordinary and the Ordinary.” 2 Feb 2022. Ms. Magazine. https://msmagazine.com/2022/02/02/black-history-month-women-critical-race-theory/
- “Zora Neale Hurston was Prescient on Race.” 20 Jan 2022. Visible Magazine. https://visiblemagazine.com/zora-neale-hurston-was-prescient-on-race/
- For more on my work on Hurston, see the post on the NEH Institute: Hurston on the Horizon.
- “Five African Novels to Read in 2022.” 4 Jan 2022. Visible Magazine. https://visiblemagazine.com/five-african-novels-to-read-in-2022/
- “Commentary: DeSantis Want to Control Where Children Get Their Information.” 21 Dec 2021. The Hill Reporter. https://hillreporter.com/commentary-desantis-wants-to-control-where-children-get-their-information-120528